Sunday, August 15, 2010

Recipe Review: Brocolli Cheese Soup



Ingredients
1/2 cup butter (I used 2 TBLS)
1 onion, chopped (I used dried onions....about 1/4 C)
1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli (I used 32 oz...and it needed more)
4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth (I used two boxes of chicken stock...it's what I had in the pantry)
1 (1 pound) loaf processed cheese food, cubed (Double this)
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup water

Directions
In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in milk and garlic powder.
In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.
OK...so after looking at the recipe I change quite a few things, but this was after reading some of the reviews of the recipe.
This soup cooked up fast and was REALLY good. It did need more brocolli though, in my opinion and that of my co-worker that helped eat some leftovers.
2 out of 3 kids willingly ate this soup.
1 out of 3 kids ate this soup but only because it was required to get a roll.
2 out of 3 adults really loved this soup. (See above...I had a co-worker help eat the leftovers)
1 out of 3 adults liked the soup, but is admittedly not a big soup fan.
This recipe yields A LOT of soup. Enough soup for dinner and 4 really full leftover containers.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I'll have to try this one. We LOVE soup!!!!