Monday, January 10, 2011
Recipe Review: Chicken and Dumplings
I came across this recipe and knew I had to try it. We've had amazingly cold weather and there is nothing more yummy during the cold winter than comfort food.
3 c. cooked chicken, cut into large pieces
½ c. butter
1/3 c. flour
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3 c. chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup (98% fat free variety works great)
Dumplings:
2 c. flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp celery seed
¼ c. oil
1 c. milk
Blend butter, flour, salt and pepper in saucepan. Add chicken broth and cook until thick. Stir in cream of chicken soup and add cooked chicken. Put in a 9x13 pan. To prepare dumplings, mix all ingredients together and stir until moistened. Drop rounded spoonfuls onto chicken and gravy. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes. I actually cooked this about 30...I like my dumplings to be less doughy. They were a great consistency.
2 out of 2 adults really enjoyed this meal. I was afraid the leftovers would get soggy, but they were just as tasty.
0 out of 3 children liked this meal. What can I say...they are freaks. They took 2 bites...one of chicken and one of dumpling and then left the table.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This looks yummy. I'll have to try it! Thanks for the recipe and review.
I just found this blog of yours and I think it's great! I love that you tell who ate it and liked it! Perfect! I can't wait to see more! Keep em coming!!
Here's the Murray review: 2 out of 2 adults thought it was delicious. I made it with canned chicken. We have lots of leftovers. Next time I may cut the recipe in half if I'm making it for just us. :-)
I used this gravy recipe as the basis for a roasted chicken and homemade noodle soup for the soup cook off at the radio station. I added more chicken stock to make a little texture in the broth but not as thick as gravy. I won FIRST PRIZE. YUMMY stuff!!!!
Post a Comment