Monday, March 29, 2010

Recipe Review: Cheesy Crab Enchiladas

(Forgot to take a picture while they were all in the pan and pretty...there is my leftover lunch.)

P. 81 2003 Taste of Home Annual Recipes

Cheesy Crab Enchiladas

While I was in college, my roommates and I loved the taste of ranch dressing -- it was our condiment of choice for almost everything. So I created these rich, delectable crab enchiladas, with ranch dressing mix as my secret ingredient. -- Kelly Mockler - Madison, Wisconsin

2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup milk, divided
1 small red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 pound fresh, frozen or canned crabmeat, flaked and cartilage removed
2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
Chopped green onions and lettuce, shredded lettuce and sliced ripe olives, optional

In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, dressing mix and 3 tablespoons milk until smooth. Set aside 3/4 cup for topping. In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir crab mixture and 1-1/2 cups Monterey Jack into remaining cream cheese mixture.

Spoon about 2/3 cup down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13 x 9 baking dish. Combine the remaining milk and reserved cream cheese mixture until blended; pour over tortillas. Sprinkle with colby and remaining Monterey Jack. Cover and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 more minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with green onions, tomatoes, lettuce and olives if desired. Yield: 8 enchiladas.
My Changes:
I did not have red onion...I used green onions instead. (It's what I had.)
I added half a diced red bell pepper.
I used a 7oz can of diced green chilies.
I omitted the black olives. (Shayne is not a fan)
I used granulated garlic.
Review:
2 out of 2 adults liked this meal.
1 out of 3 children ate the tortilla and cheese that was baked on top of the tortilla. This child left all the other stuffing on the plate.
1 out of 3 children took a bite and then chewed that bite for 10 minutes before making a horrible face swallowing it.
1 out of 3 children didn't take a single bite. Granted, this child is sick. If she had been well I'm fairly certain she would have eaten it.
This dish is definitely rich and one enchilada was more than enough. This would taste good with other types of seafood, including shrimp.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I have some canned crab. This looks tasty. I'll try this one when the temps drop again in a couple of days. :-)